Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

November 22, 2010

AN OPEN CANVAS....


Painting "LIVE" in front of nearly a thousand people is trippy. And exhilarating.
It wasn't all that long ago that I started painting. I was dreaming about it in my nocturnal dreams, and though I'd never an taken art class, or even been inclined to paint,  it felt like a divine cue to do so.

This past Saturday as I stood in front of canvas # 82, I was sandwiched between two people in possession of art degrees. I had a color palette in mind, but from there I really had no idea where I was headed. There is an incredible power in allowing the moment to dictate your process. I suppose it could be seen as a leap of faith. Or lunacy. I just know that whenever I think I'm going to run the show, something  very different comes through me. Why jam up the frequency with my own ideas?

Now truthfully, there were a few moments (just like last year) when I thought to myself "Oh God, what am I doing here?" Then it happens. That definitive moment when the painting turns the corner, and truly takes on a life of its own. My spirit becomes buoyant, and THE KNOWING of what to do just washes over me. My friends, it is a feeling like none other.

Can I also tell you what a thrill it is, to have a stranger walk up behind you and say in your ear "I love your painting, but its officially out of my price range." 5 years ago I had never painted anything in my life. On Saturday night (through a friendly bidding war), my painting "Rosie's Garden" and I were able to raise a nice little chunk to benefit the scholarship program at the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design.

I am humbled to have once again been asked to participate in an event populated by such fine and talented  artists. I think the big lesson in this is that I  responded when I was called. It is my sincere wish  that I will always remember to live my life like an open canvas in which to paint what ever strokes of color I so choose.
Even colors I didn't know existed.


No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!