Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

October 31, 2010

7 TO 40: EXPOSING MYSELF


When I saw the above image on the internet the other day, it really drove something home for me.

As I approach 40, I will honestly admit to you that I am not in the best financial shape, and that's the Rated-G, sugar coated version for you, my gentle bleaders. The artist who successfully self supports without the aid of additional streams of income is a rare bird indeed. Trying to eek out a living as an interior designer and artist in this world dominated by price vs. quality consciousness has proven to be especially challenging,  and emotionally draining in these particularly difficult financial times. I'm completely over it.

Can I just tell you how much of my time I've given away for free since I got into this business?  My brain has been "picked" so much it hurts. When I was first getting started, I thought that  I needed to discount my rates because I was the new kid on the block. I cannot tell you how much product, talent, and time I have dispersed over the years since [at little or no profit], in the hopes that I would finally get the break I need to make it big. Instead I manifested just the opposite result.

Please take the audaciousness of this next remark with a grain of salt, because its almost embarrassing that someone blessed with as many different gifts as I have been, should be in this predicament. Who can I blame for this travesty? At the end of the day, it is I who must take responsibility.

One of the most important "memos" I've received over the last couple of years is that we teach people how to treat us. That being said,  I'm formulating a new lesson plan. My talent has monetary value as well as aesthetic merit, and its high time I was compensated properly for it. I'm totally overdue for a raise...of consciousness.

No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!