Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

July 26, 2010

10 TO 40: THE SURFACE OF THINGS


They say if something really irritates you about someone else, you should check yourself.

One of my favorite sayings is that I like fancy things, but I'm not a fancy person. I'm a gay Interior Designer. Its my job to like fancy things. Yet I'll be the first person in line to pass judgement on people who are obsessed with the surface of things, especially physical beauty. Oooh, check!

However for many, it's where all of their faith lies. In appearances and facades. In who's wearing what labels and driving which kind of car. Truth be told, I've never been a label whore. Nor have I ever cared much about cars.My parents were clear that a man's worth should be judged by the contents of his character, not his bank account- and I believed them.

But if I'm not stereotypical in that regard, then why does it irk me so when I see this trait in others? I think I figured it out today. I'm envious. Even though I could honestly care less about "things", I'm envious that I've never had the luxury of buying the clothes or cars of my choice- but what I can afford. Envious of others beauty- not because they possessed something I didn't, but because my ego always wished that I could be regarded for my attractiveness. Eeew. Note that I'm purposefully using the term envious, and not jealous. Envy, jealousy, take your pick- it's all ugly.

So 10 to 40 is about realizing that the surface of things are usually an illusion. How can something that isn't real keep me from contentment? Better yet, what kind of power do I give that illusion when I allow it to color my judgement of other people or situations, or let it put distance between us? Hmm. Perhaps its time to scratch it.

.

No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!