Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

April 11, 2010

THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA


DIXIE CARTER 1939-2010

20 years ago when I lived in Los Angeles, I worked for Tower Records. Let me rephrase that. I worked at thee Tower Records. Located at the intersection of Sunset and Holloway in West Hollywood. A block from Beverly Hills and across the street from Spagos. You get the picture. My constant bliss-out from being surrounded by so much great music was star-kissed daily, by the sheer convenience of geographic location.

I swear this place was the size of a football field, but man I knew that joint like the back of my hand. I worked customer service right smack in the middle-  it was my JOB to know it! Over the 2 years I worked there I met and or waited on just about everyone. David Bowie, Liza Minnelli,  Elton John, Grace Slick, Steven Spielberg, Bette Midler, Michael Jackson, and George Michael. Whoopi Goldberg used to have me paged to help her personally. It was a super cool gig that netted me about $40 a day, if I could refrain from using my 15% employee discount.

One day Dixie Carter's assistant came in armed with a stack of promotional materials. Dixie had just released an album called "Dixie Carter sings John Wallowitch Live at The Carlyle", and her gal was looking for someone to go around and distribute the materials which were promoting both the album, and an upcoming  cabaret show in L.A. Naturally she gravitated  toward the little gay boy with orange hair and top-stitched clogs. Just as naturally I agreed to help her out. I approached the assignment with fervor and made sure that the "half-sheets" for the live performance made it onto the walls of every boy's bar in West Hollywood. 
I mean it was 1990. Who wasn't watching Designing Women?

I was too broke to go to her show at The Roosevelt, but I got my reward. About a month afterward I received a thank you card at the store. It was from Dixie herself, personally thanking me for helping her sell out the show. I was charmed by her thoughtfulness for sure, though I seriously doubt that I had anything to do with her selling out. I mean it was 1990. Wasn't everyone watching Designing Women?

By the way. That album is AMAZING, if you can find a copy. Thanks Dixie. For turning me on to John Wallowitch. For bringing music to our ears, and smiles to our faces. 


No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!