Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

October 29, 2009

SQUASH & KALE SOUP

[Ed. My camera is on the fritz so this is somebody Else's squash and kale soup. Apparently I didn't invent it...the recipe however is mine!]

1 medium onion, chopped
2 small cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp. bacon fat or olive oil
1 15oz. can chick peas
8 cups chicken stock
2 small squash [I like Sweet Dumpling or Delicata], OR 1 Butternut
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/8 tsp. or several good grates of fresh nutmeg
1/2 tsp. saffron threads
additional salt to taste
1 medium-sized bunch organic kale chopped, ribs removed if you like

Peel, seed, and dice the squash into 1 inch pieces.
Over medium heat, saute the onion in the fat until translucent. Add the spices {except saffron}, and cook for 2 more minutes. Add squash and stirring occasionally, cook just until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, chickpeas, and saffron. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Try a piece of squash. It should be cooked but not too soft. Add the Kale and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Turn off the heat when the kale has reach your desired tenderness, about 10 minutes.

I've now made this 3 times this month. The second time I added a couple of browned smoked sausages, cut into coins. It was a very nice, but not necessary addition.

No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!