Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

August 28, 2009

PEARLS


I've been thinking allot lately about gifts my parents gave me.
Not Tonka trucks, or rock polishing machines, or the record albums I pined for, but pearls.

40 hours work, for 40 hours pay.

2 wrongs NEVER make a right.

If you never lie, you'll never have to remember what you said.

If you really love what you do, and you work hard, you'll be successful.

When in doubt, do nothing.

A skunk smells his own hole first.

Why should they buy the cow if they can get the milk for free?

Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.

Growing up, these are some of the things I remember my parents saying to me. Over, and over, and over. And trust me, that's the short list. Not to mention "Do as I say, not as I do." There were both good for that one. I can very clearly remember my Dad saying that he wished children came with instruction manuals...

As I am not perfect, neither were my parents. Yet the older I grow, the more I realize what a great job they did. Considering many things, not the least of which, there was NO manual. Making sure that their children grew up with strong moral fiber was priority #1, and probably one of the few things they agreed on completely. When I was 15 years old, it was more than likely that I would have rolled my eyes behind their backs at any one of the sayings on that list...

What sorts of things did your parents say? I'll bet if you thought about it for just a hot minute you could come up with a list of your own. I'll also bet money that like most grown folk, the older you get, the truer they ring!

My parents didn't always say the right thing. In fact they occasionally said things I wish I could forget...but as I maneuver through a world that is often difficult to navigate, I am constantly reminded of the "tools" I was given by them. Tools other kids didn't get, but we did because our parents knew they were more important than Tonka trucks, or rock polishing machines, or record albums we pined for. They made us find jobs so we could buy those things for ourselves!

So thanks for the pearls Mom and Dad.
I cherish them, and wear them close to my heart.

No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!