Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

July 31, 2009

MAYAN FEAST


Some people read novels, some are hardcore about their New York Times.
Michael reads cookbooks. At one point I sort of had a "cookbook problem", evident by my cupboards brimming with 100+ of them. Kinda funny since I don't cook from recipes all that much! But I've LEARNED so much about cooking from cookbooks. About process, about flavor profiles. I guess over the years, it has all seeped into my subconscious.

About 5 years ago I saw Maya Angelou on the Oprah Winfrey Show discussing her new cookbook. It sounded wonderful, but having a ridiculous stash of books already in my possession, I bought it for Jeffrey Elliott instead. Jonesing for a good "cookbook read", I recently borrowed it from him. What a delight. The book is a hybrid of great recipes tied together with stories of her childhood, and early struggles. Stellar family recipes, and comfort food dishes born from "what was on hand from the cupboard", between paychecks.
In her elegant, wisdom-filled fashion, Maya beautifully illustrates the relationships between good eating, family, friends, and circumstances. These are the connections with food that we all can relate to, and reminds us of that commonality.

Most of us love to eat. Allot of us feed the people we love. As I've said many times before, eating is so much more than what we do to fuel our bodies. Since food and love are two things our bodies and souls can't live without for long, deprivation of either is not an option. Reading "Hallelujah! The Welcome Table" has given me a burning desire to make smoked pork chops with fried apples and spoon bread...and fill the seats around my own table with people I love!
You can find it new or used on amazon.com

No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!