Let's say we're all bees. Each and every one of us is buzzing about-
buzz buzz buzz.
The honey that we make is our lives. Experience has taught me two things...

KILLER BEES MAKE THE MOST DELICIOUS HONEY

...and LIFE is only as yummy as you make it!

Are YOU a Killer Bee?




bee my guest?

bee my guest?
Howdy Beezers! I'm excited to share something new with you... Over the upcoming months, most of the content you'll be seeing here will be from special guest contibutors! This is sure to add a new texture to this thing we've been weaving over the years. I know that many of my readers (yes, you!) are writers, artists, musicians and filmmakers. PLEASE feel free to contact me if there's something you'd like to contribute! I'd be most honored to pollinate... send me a note: m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

please be seated

February 27, 2009

Light Up Your Life!


Let's begin with a little trivia.

Q. Why do we paint our ceilings white?

A. Because years ago our homes were poorly lit. Painting the ceiling white reflected more light back down. This was especially important in the evenings, when there was often only once source of light in a room. It's 2009. Between recessed, track, and the sheer amount of ambient lighting we now have in our homes, you needn't paint your ceiling light colors anymore. Especially white! Why no white ceilings? That's another rant, for another posting. Today it's all about lamps!
Most decorative lamps do double duty. They provide "ambient" [mood] light, but they also often serve the purpose of light "task", such as reading or dining. When selecting accent lighting, keep a few things in mind...
  • How much light will it "throw"? Do I need a lamp that allows for multiple levels of light, like one with a 3-way switch? Check to see the maximum wattage for the bulb it will take. For example, if it takes a maximum of 40watts, you won't get much of that "light-task" factor I was speaking of. It's going to just give you a nice glow.
  • How big is the room? Will I need multiple sources of that ambient light to get the glow I want? That also brings up the issue of scale. VERY important. There aren't necessarily any hardcore guidelines here, but a smaller scale lamp is generally more suitable for a bedside, or a buffet. On the other hand, a larger scale lamp can be just as effective, if not more interesting at a bedside, or on a buffet, as it is in a living room. And just so you know, oversize, chunky, "statement" lamps are BACK. Big time.
  • Buffets. It's about the only time I can tolerate a pair of anything. If you're bent on symmetry, you're probably hard-wired that way, so there's nothing I can do about it. Just know this: If you're going to put a pair of lamps in your living room, they had better be interesting! Who wants to see 2 boring lamps in one room? Got it?Traditional retail outlets aren't the only place to find great lamps. Vintage lamps are the rage right now and for good reason. The lamps of the 30's-70's were stylish! I'm not sure what happened in the 80's and 90's...At any rate, re-sale shops, estate sales, and ebay are all great places to look for vintage lighting.

Now the pretty part! I wouldn't leave you hanging without some cool places to start! I happen to have a real affection for the lamps that the following 3 companies manufacture. They all excel in 2 things I believe to be important when selecting a lamp. Quality and uniqueness. Remember that lamps do far more than add light to a room. They are also accessories...


Barbara Cosgrove

To find a retailer, email: customeservice@barbaracossgrovelamps.com




SHINE

http://www.shineeveryday.com/purchase.asp



Arteriors Home
http://www.arteriorshome.com/retail_locator.aspx












No comments:

Buzz Out!

Buzz Out!